The Importance of Social Media + LinkedIn Profile Tips
What are the benefits of having a LinkedIn profile? Does social media really make a difference when looking for a job? In today’s job market, the importance of social media cannot be overemphasized. For job seekers of all experience levels, keeping your social media profiles up-to-date, relevant, and professional is key to landing a great job.
For this article, let’s review the benefits of having a LinkedIn account, what to include in your profile, and some handy LinkedIn tips. Just a few small changes will have you ready to look for your ideal job.
What Are the Benefits of Having a LinkedIn Profile?
The benefits of having a LinkedIn profile are:
- It is easier to update an online profile rather than a paper resume.
- Establish your expertise.
- Make important business connections.
- Join professional groups.
- Others can be introduced to your books, websites, blogs, etc.
- Easily research other businesses.
- Stay up-to-date on applicable news.
Perhaps the main benefit is that employers, recruiters, and human resources professionals are looking for you on LinkedIn!
Why Every Job Seeker Needs a LinkedIn Profile
Even if you don’t have job experience yet and you’re looking for an entry-level position, it’s still important to have a presence on LinkedIn. Here’s why every level of job seeker should have a polished profile:
- Entry-level. Having a LinkedIn profile shows employers that you take yourself seriously and that you’re proactive in your search. It also gives you an opportunity to highlight your professional values and interests in your profile description.
- Mid-level. Employers are going to be looking at your qualifications, experience, and professional certifications, and LinkedIn is exactly the place to put them. Just remember that as you continue to gain experience and qualifications in your career, you should continue to update your profile.
- Executive-level. LinkedIn allows top-level job seekers to really highlight their accomplishments and paint a picture of how they can lead an organization toward success. You’re telling a story – the story of how you’ve brought value to your past roles, and how you can bring immense value to a potential employer.
What to Include in a LinkedIn Profile
As far as the basics go, here’s what to include:
- A great headshot
- A specific headline that sets you apart
- Your achievements
- Current job entry (if you’re in between jobs, list your past position but specify ‘Seeking New Opportunity’ in the Company Name box)
- Videos, slideshow presentations, etc.
- Your blog posts
While it should go without saying, don’t include any inappropriate pictures or language on your LinkedIn profile. And keep in mind that employers are likely to look you up on Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites. Anything set to public is fair game to help them make their decisions, so it pays to cultivate a professional look across all your social media channels.
LinkedIn Profile Tips
Once you have the basics included in your LinkedIn profile, follow these tips to really get noticed.
- Set a custom URL.
- Keep your summary to 3-5 short paragraphs and include a bulleted list.
- Avoid overused words (i.e. responsible, effective, driven).
- Inject your own personality.
- Use numbers & case studies that highlight your past achievements (for example, include that you raised revenue by X% at your last job).
- Manage your endorsements.
- Aim for one new recommendation each month.
Find Your Perfect Job
Once you have set up a polished LinkedIn profile, you have taken a major step toward getting noticed by the right employers and finding your next opportunity. Whether you’re just starting your career, or you’re a seasoned professional, it’s always a good idea to give your LinkedIn profile a refresh.
If you’re still having trouble finding employment, Atlas Staffing can help. You’ll get the inside track on available positions in the Spokane, Boise, and Yakima regions—positions that are perfect for you.
Contact Atlas Staffing today!